What are the signs of gum disease? How is it treated?
Gum disease is a prevalent problem among adults in the U.S. Millions of people are affected by periodontal disease, many without even knowing, so it is important to be aware of its signs and symptoms, which include:
- Puffy, red, or inflamed gums
- Gums that bleed while brushing or flossing
- Chronic bad breath that isn’t helped by mouthwash or brushing your teeth
- A change in the way your teeth feel and fit together when biting down
- A feeling that your teeth are coming loose
- Receding gum tissue makes your teeth appear longer
Treatment may include gum therapy by the hygienist at our Covina dental office, followed by local delivery of antibiotics. We will recommend a regular schedule of maintenance to prevent gum disease from developing again in the future. Dr. Huang works with several excellent gum specialists and, if necessary, we will be happy to refer you for further treatment.
Finding and treating gum disease quickly is important. Without treatment, periodontal disease can spread rapidly and cause serious oral health problems like deterioration of your jaw bone and even tooth loss.
If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, please contact our Covina dental office and arrange a checkup with Dr. Huang. We want to help eliminate gum disease as soon as possible so that you can enjoy many years of good oral health.